With my grandmother gone out of station for a month and me being alone every day I am having the problem of 'what-to-have-for-dinner' everyday. My cooking skills being nil, my grandmother's in my cooking skills being nil (she has actually locked the kitchen and gone so i dont try my 'culinary' skills in there), my liking for outside food being nil, and my appetite and love for food being infinite I have been wondering what to do for food and I have devised an ingenious method!! (Take a bow Wordsmith, Take a bow!! :))
For the past 3 days I have been having salads and raw vegetables!! Cool huh??
Thanks to A who told me about the time she would make salads to fill herself up I have been having one cucumber, one beetroot, one tomato and couple of lettuce leaves for dinner everyday garnished with salt, pepper lemon and this amazing salad dressing that i got called the 'Thousand Island' salad dressing. (Good stuff!!) and no!! I have been looking at myself in the mirror daily and I havent been turning into a goat because of eating all those leaves and veggies!! :P
And I must say I am loving it and feeling very good about myself because I am actually eating healthy stuff and if I am to believe the newspapers I will not get cancer, hypertension, glaucoma, trachoma, arterial blocks for another 50 years and neither will I age fast!! So yayyy!!
Mom of course is super thrilled and acting all smug and going "Hah!! When i asked you to eat these things 10 years back the faces you made would make the faces of accident victims look good and now you are being forced to eat them. Good Good. Good for health!!"

On a totally unrelated note I read this article somewhere which said people in England are fostering dogs and taking care of stray dogs because they were bored and I was like "Whaaaat?? what the hell. Save the human race first man. The dog race can save itself".
For crying out loud, There are children in Somalia and Uganda and Srilanka who die because of lack of food and proper nourishment and you want to foster and save the life of a DOG????
I mean the GDP of Uganda would be equal to the money these guys spend on buying biscuits for their dogs and preening their dogs!!
Leave a 4 month old baby on the streets and a four month old dog on the streets. Trust me the dog WILL survive and even if it doesnt i dont care. Truly I dont. I d rather kill 20 stray dogs and save the life of one child than have children elsewhere in the world die and foster dogs.
Now mind you I love dogs. Yeah they are good pets and fun to be with but frankly I d rather say I saved a human than say I saved a dog proudly.
Now you might argue that your not fostering dogs is not going to improve the situation in Uganda and Somalia and you might as well derive some pleasure while doing good.
fair enough. Do good but do some good for the human race first and THEN for the dog race!! Bah!!
You can completely disagree but this is just my opinion

Coming back to food I have this sudden craving for Aloo Parantha now. I mean proper Amma made Aloo parantha with a lot of ghee on the sides and a dollop of butter on the top and cold cold dahi and some mango pickle to go along with it!! Ahhhh!! Bliss!!
Sighhh!! I want aloo parantha RIGHT now!! Salad be damned. I am going out and eating aloo parantha today!! :P

4 comments:

bad bad...
U could have called me out for dinner... aloo parantha... where where?

April 21, 2009 at 9:03 AM  

"my confidence in my grandmother being nil" or is it the other way around ?

Btw, rumour has it that you the one who used to write revsrules.

May 4, 2009 at 11:14 AM  

Comparing babies with puppies. Hmm... the salad DOES seem to have done some damage.

As your well wisher... I'd recommend Aloo Parantha everyday.

May 11, 2009 at 6:00 AM  

Well, Im one up on you, aint I? Atleast the last three weeks taught me that cooking for yourself isnt all that bad a thing at all. In fact, i feel a lot better about myself and this new activity these days. I come back from office in a crowded bus, every three days i have to buy more groceries, and i sweat like a pig in the kitchen... but it feels good when at the end of it, you're watching a movie and eating your own food1

May 13, 2009 at 10:27 AM  

Newer Post Older Post Home