College Diaries - 3

1. So while the rest of the journalist community has been capturing the unveiling of the statue of Sarvajna yours truly and a friend have had the unique distinction of covering the unveiling (Sheeesh!! That’s such an oxymoron. As journalists we "cover" the unveiling :P) of Sarvajna's bum. Yeahh!! You read it right. We have extremely aesthetic shots of his bum and the skimpily clad dhoti covering it. Why? Well because there were so many other "propah" journalists covering it that we students were pushed to a corner and when you are a student with an assignment deadline to submit a story the next day even Sarvajna's backside makes an interesting story. :P

2. I LOVE ALL the lectures at college (with the exception of a series of lectures by the 'N' brothers - N.Ram, N.Ravi and N.Murali of Hindu. It’s amazing how they can be soooo like their newspapers. BORING and INSIPID!! Bah!!). We are supposed to listen to all the lectures and make an "informed" choice about what subjects we want to take as an elective. My problem is I want to take ALL the electives, which is surprising given that when I was doing my engineering I had trouble picking one coz all sounded equally uninteresting. I am not sure if I should take gender issues or environment issues or arts and culture or cinema or urban studies or sooooo many other electives being offered.

3. For the first time ever I cried during a lecture. I mean yeah lectures during engineering made me cry but in a totally different sense. The lecture on environment issues moved me so much that I just sat there on the second row silently shedding tears listening to the havoc which we humans have unleashed on the planet

4. I am perpetually busy, perennially rushed, always on the run and always breathless finishing some assignment or the other or covering some inane activity in some corner of the city and this long weekend (Yeah. we got both Saturday and Sunday off which is like a blessing) comes as a breath of fresh. Two days of laziness - here I come :)

5. Quite surprisingly I don't miss my life in "IT" AT ALL. I thought I would miss my former employer a teeny weensy bit but I don't. I dunno if it’s the lack of time or what but I don't miss one single aspect of that life. A part of me is glad coz I had heard horror stories about how people cannot go back to studies after two years of work but the transition in my case has been pretty smooth and I am extremely happy here but strangely I CAN'T believe that having spent two complete years in a place and having made so many memories I don't miss a single thing. I mean I SORELY miss college (all said and done I liked engineering for the four years I spent in hostel and the friends I made), I still wish I could go back to college but I just don’t miss the last two years. It’s as if they didn’t happen at all. And the best part - I don't even miss receiving a salary at the end of the month coz quite honestly I never knew what to do with all that money and now I am kind of glad I am again living a life of penury :P

6.
I am glad that propah Tam-Brahm boys have enough sense nowadays to say No to journalists as wives :P. I am ecstatic because two prospective "alliances" got "rejected" when they learnt that I was going to be a journalist. "Journalist na yengalukku vendaam". In times of recession most boys apparently prefer a working woman drawing a five figure salary and not someone who is studying ughhh journalism. Yayyyy!! I love you guys and thank god I chose to study journalism now :).

7. When I told a not-so-near-but-still-forced-to-keep-in-touch relative that I was doing journalism she said "Journalism??" in pretty much the same tone that someone would say "Syphilis???", "Gonorrhea". :P. It was quite funny when she came to me and asked in a conspiratorial whisper "Have you lost your job?" and probably meant "Have you lost your mind". :D.

The more the number of people who look at me like I have some contagious disease just because I quit a decently paying job to join "Journalism" the surer I am that I have made the right decision! :)


8. Two good friends of mine broke up last week and it makes me question the fickleness of human relationships once again. I don't think I will ever understand relationships. I don't think I will ever understand why people would want to be in a relationship just to get hurt and come out saying "I am hurt but I am at least a wiser, better person". I don't think I ever will. Sighhhh!! H and M - *HUGS*

4 comments:

Point 7: LOL...hahahaha...in the same vein as syphilis and gonorrhea? :D :D :D

Point 8: Have you ever been in a relationship? Hoping against hope to tide over everything? The uncertainties exist everywhere, doesn't mean you don't ever give them a chance. Some people are that vulnerable (which seems stupid). They are willing to put their heart, their dreams, their trust into something they believe will work out. When it doesn't, it's easy for us to say, "I told you so". It's like the hangover after getting a high. :). You should get drunk to know how it feels...

August 15, 2009 at 5:23 AM  

Lol @ point 7. I faced a similar situation when I was doing masters in IT full time and going to photography school part time. A relative asks me "why on the earth do u want to take photos at weddings and funerals instead of getting into IT"....ha ha ha to her photography is limited only to weddings and funerals I guess.

August 15, 2009 at 9:09 PM  

Ah! Ye love the lectures?? Me either sleeps thru mine or observes other people in their peaceful stupor!

And ye cried?? Are ye sure it wasnt tears that well up when a person yawns wide enough to swallow a cricket ball? :-P :-p

And I miss CTS for the sole reason that there work was a rarity and here sleep is...sigh!
Gee whiz!1 Ye sound like the topper I judiciously avoid in a class gal!!

August 18, 2009 at 1:39 PM  

ah good that you are having fun :) been ages since i came here, but man your blog made my day again :). and i SO COMPLETELY AGREE about the N brothers thingy :)

August 25, 2009 at 2:43 AM  

Newer Post Older Post Home

Blogger Template by Blogcrowds